(Date written : 08 May 2015)
1) The word MUHKAMAT has always been translated to DIRECT, Precise, straight forward and CLEAR meaning of verse in The Quran :
Aal-i-Imraan : 7
هُوَ الَّذِىٓ أَنزَلَ عَلَيْكَ الْكِتٰبَ مِنْهُ ءَايٰتٌ مُّحْكَمٰتٌ هُنَّ أُمُّ الْكِتٰبِ وَأُخَرُ مُتَشٰبِهٰتٌ ۖ فَأَمَّا الَّذِينَ فِى قُلُوبِهِمْ زَيْغٌ فَيَتَّبِعُونَ مَا تَشٰبَهَ مِنْهُ ابْتِغَآءَ الْفِتْنَةِ وَابْتِغَآءَ تَأْوِيلِهِۦ ۗ وَمَا يَعْلَمُ تَأْوِيلَهُۥٓ إِلَّا اللَّهُ ۗ وَالرّٰسِخُونَ فِى الْعِلْمِ يَقُولُونَ ءَامَنَّا بِهِۦ كُلٌّ مِّنْ عِندِ رَبِّنَا ۗ وَمَا يَذَّكَّرُ إِلَّآ أُولُوا الْأَلْبٰبِ
● It is He who has sent down to you, [O Muhammad], the Book; in it are verses [that are] 'Precise' (MUHKAMAT) - they are the FOUNDATION of the Book (UMMUL KITAB) - and others RESEMBLING EACH OTHER (MUTASYAAABIHAAT). As for those in whose hearts is deviation [from truth], they will follow that of it which is WHAT RESEMBLING from IT[THE BOOK] (MA TASYABHA MINHU), seeking discord and seeking an INTERPRETATION (TAKWIL) [suitable to them]. And no one knows its [true] INTERPRETATION (TAKWIL) except Allah. But those firm in knowledge say, "We believe in it. All [of it] is from our Lord." And no one will be reminded except THOSE OF UNDERSTANDING (ULUL ALBAB). ●
2) The issue is - is that the TRUE MEANING of MUHKAMAT ?
The root characters of Muhkamat is HA KAF MIM - which occurs 210 times in The Quran.
The basic word is HAKAMA which means JUDGE or to JUDGE.
Al-Qalam : 39
أَمْ لَكُمْ أَيْمٰنٌ عَلَيْنَا بٰلِغَةٌ إِلٰى يَوْمِ الْقِيٰمَةِ ۙ إِنَّ لَكُمْ لَمَا تَحْكُمُونَ
● Or do you have oaths [binding] upon Us, extending until the Day of Resurrection, that indeed for you is whatever you JUDGE (TAHKUMUN) ? ●
Al-Baqara : 113
وَقَالَتِ الْيَهُودُ لَيْسَتِ النَّصٰرٰى عَلٰى شَىْءٍ وَقَالَتِ النَّصٰرٰى لَيْسَتِ الْيَهُودُ عَلٰى شَىْءٍ وَهُمْ يَتْلُونَ الْكِتٰبَ ۗ كَذٰلِكَ قَالَ الَّذِينَ لَا يَعْلَمُونَ مِثْلَ قَوْلِهِمْ ۚ فَاللَّهُ يَحْكُمُ بَيْنَهُمْ يَوْمَ الْقِيٰمَةِ فِيمَا كَانُوا فِيهِ يَخْتَلِفُونَ
● The Jews say "The Christians have nothing [true] to stand on," and the Christians say, "The Jews have nothing to stand on," although they [both] recite the Scripture. Thus the polytheists speak the same as their words. But Allah will JUDGE (YAHKUMU) between them on the Day of Resurrection concerning that over which they used to differ. ●
3) There are many verses of Al-Quran that says about Al-Hikmah :
Al-Baqara : 129
رَبَّنَا وَابْعَثْ فِيهِمْ رَسُولًا مِّنْهُمْ يَتْلُوا عَلَيْهِمْ ءَايٰتِكَ وَيُعَلِّمُهُمُ الْكِتٰبَ وَالْحِكْمَةَ وَيُزَكِّيهِمْ ۚ إِنَّكَ أَنتَ الْعَزِيزُ الْحَكِيمُ
● Our Lord, and send among them a messenger from themselves who will recite to them Your verses and teach them the Book and the 'wisdom?' (AL-HIKMAH) and purify them. Indeed, You are the Exalted in Might, the Wise." ●
Ironically, some translation based on INDUCED INTERPRETATION of some Scholars has interpreted AL-HIKMAH to mean As-Sunnah of Prophet and Messenger Muhammad.
Verses of Al-Quran has to be TADABBUR to find the Real Meaning behind. We cannot INDUCE our own Interpretation on the Real Meaning of each words.
In fact, what we ought to do is to gather as many as possible the related word in other verses in the Quran to find the real meaning :
Al-Israa : 39
ذٰلِكَ مِمَّآ أَوْحٰىٓ إِلَيْكَ رَبُّكَ مِنَ الْحِكْمَةِ ۗ وَلَا تَجْعَلْ مَعَ اللَّهِ إِلٰهًا ءَاخَرَ فَتُلْقٰى فِى جَهَنَّمَ مَلُومًا مَّدْحُورًا
● 'THAT IS' FROM what your Lord HAS REVEALED (AUHAA) to you, [O Muhammad], of AL-HIKMAH. And, [O mankind], do not make [as equal] with Allah another deity, lest you be thrown into Hell, blamed and banished. ●
The above verse, to understand 'THAT IS" - one must read the previous verses from verse 22 to 38 of Surah Al-Israa, which explain what AL-HIKMAH is about. There are 14 COMMANDS / ORDERS from Allah of what to do and what not to do - and all that are part of AL-HIKMAH.
It SHOWS that AL-HIKMAH is part of Al-Quran - there is no doubt because it is 'AUHAA ilaika' = is revealed to you (Prophet Muhammad PBUH).
Furthermore, there are many verses similar to this :
Luqman : 2
تِلْكَ ءَايٰتُ الْكِتٰبِ الْحَكِيمِ
● These are verses of The Book containing AL-HAKIIM., ●
Another meaning of Al-Hikmah :
Al-Qamar : 4
وَلَقَدْ جَآءَهُم مِّنَ الْأَنۢبَآءِ مَا فِيهِ مُزْدَجَرٌ
● And there has already come to them of information that in which there is STRONG DETERENCE (MUZDAJAR) - ●
Al-Qamar : 5
حِكْمَةٌۢ بٰلِغَةٌ ۖ فَمَا تُغْنِ النُّذُرُ
● (which are) Perfect / Extensive HIKMAH - but warning does not avail [them]. ●
Deterence verses in The Quran is part of AL-HIKMAH.
4) In Summary, based on many more verses of Al-Quran that relates to the Root Word HAKAMA -
The deduction of the meaning of Ayatul MUHKAMAT are verses that contain Orders and Strong Deterences from Allah, from which Judgement is made.
5) From the above deduction , anyone that Allah decides to give them AL-HIKMAH :
Al-Anbiyaa : 79
فَفَهَّمْنٰهَا سُلَيْمٰنَ ۚ وَكُلًّا ءَاتَيْنَا حُكْمًا وَعِلْمًا ۚ وَسَخَّرْنَا مَعَ دَاوُۥدَ الْجِبَالَ يُسَبِّحْنَ وَالطَّيْرَ ۚ وَكُنَّا فٰعِلِينَ
● And We gave UNDERSTANDING (FAHHAMNA) of the case to Solomon, and to each [of them] We gave JUDGEMENT (HUKMA) and knowledge ('ILMA). . ●
Al-Qasas : 14
وَلَمَّا بَلَغَ أَشُدَّهُۥ وَاسْتَوٰىٓ ءَاتَيْنٰهُ حُكْمًا وَعِلْمًا ۚ وَكَذٰلِكَ نَجْزِى الْمُحْسِنِينَ
● And when he attained his full strength and was [mentally] mature, We bestowed upon him JUDGEMENT (HUKMA) and knowledge. And thus do We reward the doers of good. ●
That person will have the Best Judgement In making Best Decision.