The Meaning of Tadabbur
(Date written : 06 May 2015)
(Last update : 07 May 2015)
1) There are verses that talk about Tadabbur from The Quran :
An-Nisaa : 82
أَفَلَا يَتَدَبَّرُونَ الْقُرْءَانَ ۚ وَلَوْ كَانَ مِنْ عِندِ غَيْرِ اللَّهِ لَوَجَدُوا فِيهِ اخْتِلٰفًا كَثِيرًا
● Then do they not 'reflect' / 'ponder' (TADABBUR) upon the Qur'an? If it had been from [any] other than Allah, they would have found within it much contradiction. ●
Muhammad : 24
أَفَلَا يَتَدَبَّرُونَ الْقُرْءَانَ أَمْ عَلٰى قُلُوبٍ أَقْفَالُهَآ
● Then do they not 'reflect / ponder' (TADABBUR) upon the Qur'an, or are there locks upon [their] hearts (QULUBUN)? ●
2) Normally, the word TADABBUR is often interpreted as PONDER or OBSERVE deeply so that we can understand. BUT, actually ALLAH has chosen different words to mean different actions :
The word LOOK or WATCH or OBSERVE is the BEST TRANSLATION from UNZ°UR / YANZ°UR (and related verb) , which comes from the root characters of NUN Z°O RO; which occur 129 times in The Quran:
Al-Baqara : 259
أَوْ كَالَّذِى مَرَّ عَلٰى قَرْيَةٍ وَهِىَ خَاوِيَةٌ عَلٰى عُرُوشِهَا قَالَ أَنّٰى يُحْىِۦ هٰذِهِ اللَّهُ بَعْدَ مَوْتِهَا ۖ فَأَمَاتَهُ اللَّهُ مِائَةَ عَامٍ ثُمَّ بَعَثَهُۥ ۖ قَالَ كَمْ لَبِثْتَ ۖ قَالَ لَبِثْتُ يَوْمًا أَوْ بَعْضَ يَوْمٍ ۖ قَالَ بَل لَّبِثْتَ مِائَةَ عَامٍ فَانظُرْ إِلٰى طَعَامِكَ وَشَرَابِكَ لَمْ يَتَسَنَّهْ ۖ وَانظُرْ إِلٰى حِمَارِكَ وَلِنَجْعَلَكَ ءَايَةً لِّلنَّاسِ ۖ وَانظُرْ إِلَى الْعِظَامِ كَيْفَ نُنشِزُهَا ثُمَّ نَكْسُوهَا لَحْمًا ۚ فَلَمَّا تَبَيَّنَ لَهُۥ قَالَ أَعْلَمُ أَنَّ اللَّهَ عَلٰى كُلِّ شَىْءٍ قَدِيرٌ
● Or [consider such an example] as the one who passed by a township which had fallen into ruin. He said, "How will Allah bring this to life after its death?" So Allah caused him to die for a hundred years; then He revived him. He said, "How long have you remained?" The man said, "I have remained a day or part of a day." He said, "Rather, you have remained one hundred years. LOOK (FANZ°UR) at your food and your drink; it has not changed with time. AND LOOK (WANZ°UR) at your donkey; and We will make you a sign for the people. And LOOK at the bones [of this donkey] - how We raise them and then We cover them with flesh." And when it became clear to him, he said, "I know that Allah is over all things competent." ●
Aal-i-Imraan : 77
إِنَّ الَّذِينَ يَشْتَرُونَ بِعَهْدِ اللَّهِ وَأَيْمٰنِهِمْ ثَمَنًا قَلِيلًا أُولٰٓئِكَ لَا خَلٰقَ لَهُمْ فِى الْءَاخِرَةِ وَلَا يُكَلِّمُهُمُ اللَّهُ وَلَا يَنظُرُ إِلَيْهِمْ يَوْمَ الْقِيٰمَةِ وَلَا يُزَكِّيهِمْ وَلَهُمْ عَذَابٌ أَلِيمٌ
● Indeed, those who exchange the covenant of Allah and their [own] oaths for a small price will have no share in the Hereafter, and Allah will not speak to them or LOOK (YANZ°URU) at them on the Day of Resurrection, nor will He purify them; and they will have a painful punishment. ●
Al-Maaida : 75
مَّا الْمَسِيحُ ابْنُ مَرْيَمَ إِلَّا رَسُولٌ قَدْ خَلَتْ مِن قَبْلِهِ الرُّسُلُ وَأُمُّهُۥ صِدِّيقَةٌ ۖ كَانَا يَأْكُلَانِ الطَّعَامَ ۗ انظُرْ كَيْفَ نُبَيِّنُ لَهُمُ الْءَايٰتِ ثُمَّ انظُرْ أَنّٰى يُؤْفَكُونَ
● The Messiah, son of Mary, was not but a messenger; [other] messengers have passed on before him. And his mother was a supporter of truth. They both used to eat food. OBSERVE (UNZ°UR) how We make clear to them the signs; then look how they are deluded. ●
The word SEE or SIGHTED is the BEST TRANSLATION from TARA or YARA or NARA (verb) which comes from the Root characters of RAA HAMZAH YAA :
Al-Baqara : 55
وَإِذْ قُلْتُمْ يٰمُوسٰى لَن نُّؤْمِنَ لَكَ حَتّٰى نَرَى اللَّهَ جَهْرَةً فَأَخَذَتْكُمُ الصّٰعِقَةُ وَأَنتُمْ تَنظُرُونَ
● And [recall] when you said, "O Moses, we will never believe you until we SEE (NARA) Allah outright"; so the thunderbolt took you while you were LOOKING (TANZ°URUN) on. ●
Al-Maaida : 62
وَتَرٰى كَثِيرًا مِّنْهُمْ يُسٰرِعُونَ فِى الْإِثْمِ وَالْعُدْوٰنِ وَأَكْلِهِمُ السُّحْتَ ۚ لَبِئْسَ مَا كَانُوا يَعْمَلُونَ
● And you SEE (TARA) many of them hastening into sin and aggression and the devouring of [what is] unlawful. How wretched is what they have been doing. ●
Al-Anfaal : 48
وَإِذْ زَيَّنَ لَهُمُ الشَّيْطٰنُ أَعْمٰلَهُمْ وَقَالَ لَا غَالِبَ لَكُمُ الْيَوْمَ مِنَ النَّاسِ وَإِنِّى جَارٌ لَّكُمْ ۖ فَلَمَّا تَرَآءَتِ الْفِئَتَانِ نَكَصَ عَلٰى عَقِبَيْهِ وَقَالَ إِنِّى بَرِىٓءٌ مِّنكُمْ إِنِّىٓ أَرٰى مَا لَا تَرَوْنَ إِنِّىٓ أَخَافُ اللَّهَ ۚ وَاللَّهُ شَدِيدُ الْعِقَابِ
● And [remember] when Satan made their deeds pleasing to them and said, "No one can overcome you today from among the people, and indeed, I am your protector." But when the two armies SIGHTED (TARA) each other, he turned on his heels and said, "Indeed, I am disassociated from you. Indeed, I SEE (ARA) what you do not SEE (TARAU); indeed I fear Allah. And Allah is severe in penalty." ●
3) The root characters of TADABBUR is actually comes from the characters DAL BA and RA.
Hence, its basic word is DUBUR meaning BEHIND.
The conclusion is TADABBUR means to OBSERVE for Meaning BEHIND the verses.
It applies to all the MUTASYABIHAT words or sentences (AYAT) in The Quran because for each words in the RELATED and seems SIMILAR, the MUTASYABIHAT words (AYAT) accumulate the true meaning of each word used in Al-Quran.
And from all the related MUTASYABIHAT Ayats in The Quran, we, the Reader of The Quran must DEDUCE its True Meaning, IMPLICITLY (the meaning BEHIND); without ever inducing our own OPINION which is ASSUMPTION.
MUHKAMAT Ayats or sentences are very straight forward meaning, in this can be understood EXPLICITLY.